Saturday, January 26, 2008

Funding for PhD Has Arrived

On Tuesday, I got an email from my PhD advisor informing me that he had been granted funding for a proposal that he submitted a few months ago. That basically means that he can pay me a little bit to do the research that I will be doing anyway for my PhD. It also means that I won't have to pay tuition for the next 3 semesters. Excellent! It's not a lot of money, but it's definitely a huge help. I'll be quiting my job as soon as we can work out some insurance issues.

I am starting to really appreciate my advisor, which is a great thing considering how many PhD candidates despise theirs. Here's some things that I appreciate:

  • He is always straight with me about what is going on in the politics of the academic world.
  • He allows me to make my own decisions about my research. If something doesn't interest me, I don't feel pressure to do it just because "he wants me to."
  • He puts up with my endless ramblings about my ambitions and annoyances.
  • He knows what he's talking about when it comes to technical details.
Anyway, we're going to be doing the coolest PhD research ever done. So watch out. Thanks for the funding Neal!

2 comments:

Rob said...

Congratulations my friend. Between this and the three pointer it sounds like you have had a great week. Strong work yo.

Wasatch Girl said...

Congrats my friend!