Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I don't have to be a democrat or republican to have a say

Here's how my voting went this morning:

Me: "Is it true that I have to be affiliated with a party to vote today?
Volunteer: "No, but if you want to vote on the republican ballot, you have to temporarily affiliate yourself with the party."
Me: "Pffff! Put me on the democratic ballot then."
Volunteer #2: [somewhat surprised by my reaction] "All you have to do is fill out a form if you want to vote on the republican ballot"
Me: "No, it's just another hoop that I have to jump through. As a citizen, I should be able to choose who I want to be president without having to affiliate myself with anything. "
Volunteer: "I hear ya."
Friend of mine in the voting booth: "I'm with you Joey!"
Volunteer: "How's Ted doing?"
...

What a crock. I do not have to be a democrat or republican to have a say in who is president. I do not have to affiliate myself with anyone. I am a citizen of the US and already registered as a voter - enough said.

2 comments:

Nate said...

I am with you Joey. It would be nice if as a nation we could start treating everyone like Americans and stop being so preoccupied with labels.

Heidi said...

Here here.