Monday, September 8, 2008

Don't Go to Jiffy Lube

I will never go back to Jiffy Lube in my life. Here's why:

  1. I took my truck to get an oil change 2 years ago. The truck started leaking oil so I took it back to Jiffy Lube. They told me that "the oil pan threads are totally stripped" and that my truck was so old that this was normal. I went and bought another oil plug and took it to a different Jiffy Lube, telling them to replace the plug for me. I asked them to take a look at the plug threads. They put the new part in, it fit perfectly, and they came back and said "Your threads are in great shape. It looks like you had the wrong sized plug, so we put your new one in and it fits great."
  2. Last year Jiffy Lube failed me on a safety inspection citing that my "tank was leaking gas." I took it to another shop to get a second opinion, and they said they could find no gas leak. I got under the car myself and looked, only to find a spot where some grease was spilled, right under where the fill-up line goes into the tank. It turns out they have to use lubrication to get that part in, and the "leak" was nothing more than some lube that hadn't dried.
  3. Last year we took our civic in to get serviced. They lost the air filter cap, and every time since then they have said "your filter cap is missing." They never replaced it.
  4. Here's the big one. I took the truck to get safety inspected at Jiffy Lube this week. When I pulled in, a girl got into my car and turned on the headlights. I saw them turn on. A few minutes later, they told me that my "corner lights" were burned out. A guy doing the inspection yelled to another "looks like both of them are out." For some reason, I was getting suspicious, so I decided to check it out myself. I got into my car and turned on my headlights to see if the corner lights were really out. To feed my suspicion, the headlights that I saw working about 5 minutes before did not light up. I walked out, looked, and then said "why are my headlights out too?" The guy says "oh! what?!" and then gets back into my car. I stayed outside and watched the lights, while two other workers told me ridiculous answers as to why my lights were out. "You must have a short." "Your brights were on." "Your ignition wasn't turned on." Then, magically while the guy is messing around in my car, my lights turn back on. I look at them straight in the face and say "What's going on here guys? I really don't trust what is going on." The main inspector guy says to me "Hey, if you don't trust me you can go somewhere else!" to which I respond, "That is exactly what I am going to do."
See ya. I'll never go back to Jiffy Lube and I will make it a point to share my experience at any time that it seems relevant. DON'T GO TO JIFFY LUBE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

WOW! That stinks! I don't go to Jiffy Lube either, not because I've had problems, but because they're a rip off (sooo expensive) and they try to sell me too much stuff, it's annoying. I always go to Supersonic, you get a free car wash with your oil change, and it's cheaper than Jiffy Lube, can't beat that!

Contact said...

I used to go to supersonic too and I like it alot. The only Jiffy Lube I have ever liked is the one in Bountiful.

Wasatch Girl said...

Yeah, I have stopped going to Jiffy Lube. Super expensive and somehow they always tell me I need something else. I love my mechanic so just have him replace my oil.

Sorry, Joey! What a joke! I am glad you walked out!

Kevin Wilding said...

I once took my car into jiffy lube for an oil change. Everything seemed to go well until I was looking at my hood a day later. There was a big dent in it and the paint was chipping off where the bar thingy holds up the hood when opened. Obviously they tried to close the hood without remembering to remove the bar first. Needless to say, I couldn't prove that they did the damage so I had to get it fixed myself.
Now I only get my oil changed at WAL-MART. $16.77 Who can beat that?