Monday, April 14, 2008

The Kite Runner

I just read a popular book called "The Kite Runner." It's narrated by a fictional character named Amir who details the tragedies of his life and how he deals with them. When Amir is very young, he makes a mistake that ends up haunting him for a very long time. The book is about how the mistake affects his life over the long run, and discusses the elements of his life that many people can relate to.

It also discusses some of the political tragedies in Afghanistan in a fictional framework. While the story may not be actual, I found myself thinking a lot about the turmoil that undoubtedly exists in that area of the world. After reading this book, I appreciate my freedoms more, and understand how blessed I am.

If anyone would like to borrow my copy of this book, just send me an email or post in the comments.

3 comments:

Hipster's Tea Party said...

Yeah, that book affected me too. It's crazy how much we take for granted living in America. Don't see the movie though, it stinks.

Chris and Jen said...

I just started the author's next book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns". It is pretty good already.

Heidi said...

Glad you liked the book. I agree with you - I'm so grateful to live in a place where I'm free to make decisions without fearing retribution. The movie was good, but disappointing after having read the book, they left TONS out. And, like Jen said "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is really good, along the same vein, but focused more on women and really depressing.