Friday, April 25, 2008

Them Mormons

I have been in St. Louis for the past week for a conference in electrical engineering. I ran into a guy from Brazil, and since I went on a mission there, I was psyched to start talking some Portuguese with him. Here's how our conversation went.

Me: Tudo Bem? Meu nome e Joey. Prazer. (How's it going? I'm Joey, nice to meet you.)
Brazilian: Opa, voce fala portugues?! (Hey! You speak Portuguese?)
Me: Falo. (I do.)

At this point another guy hears me and walks over to me and looks at my name tag.

Other guy: Woah! You speak Portuguese? Where are you from?
Me: The University of Utah.
Other guy: Oh! I went to BYU!

At this point, being the jokester that I am, I make a big disgusted face and put my papers over my face. I thought for sure he knew about the BYU-Utah rivalry and would understand my joke.

Other guy: Oh! Don't worry! I'm not Mormon.
Me: Ha! I am!

The guy really did not know what to say. Hahahahaha. So funny.

2 comments:

The Taintor Family said...

Joey,
That there is funny stuff.

Wasatch Girl said...

Ha ha ha ha... I can just see you giving them the Doughy smile after you said that. Classic.